Thursday, September 23, 2010

The Hunt for the Perfect Chibi

Welcome to NYC. The fabulous and luxurious world of the rich and famous. Well, that's not really me at all. As much as I would like to think myself the typical Disney princess I am actually pretty far off.

Living in Queens and working on the UES means a constant change of scenery, bustle and, of course, people. But what does this mean to me? It means that my love for knitting has become extremely expensive.

Fancy stores here on the UES cater to a different clientele than myself. I recently entered a "luxury yarn store" here on the UES and asked for a Chibi or darning needle. The woman at the counter regally straightened her posture and responded "I am sorry, we do not carry those. We do, however, offer a very nice finishing service at a low cost."

Now do I pay $50 to have my little Coffee Sleeve (http://www.ravelry.com/projects/YoungPadawan/knit-coffee-sleeve) dinky project sewn together in a straight line or do I keep on trekking? Survey says, keep on trekking!

Needless to say I trudged around NYC and Queens and after my 3rd store and lots of sweat and frustration, I finally FOUND THE CHIBI!

I almost did the sacred Chibi dance (inset celebration dance here) in the middle of a store full of women who stared at my flip-flops as though I had dragged in doggy-doo.

In the end, I was quite happy and satisfied. I was able to complete my masterpiece of the cabled knitted coffee sleeve. Going green here I come.

Check back up for more funny tales of this below average knitter trying to maneuver the landscape that is the NYC Knitting Elite.

No comments:

Post a Comment